Become a citizen scientist! In the Summer of 2012 you can join CanopyMeg in the Amazon, uncovering the secrets of the forest canopy. Itinerary includes 8 days in the Amazon and an optional 4 days in Maccu Picchu. For more information, contact Dr. Frances Gatz (logistics coordinator) at email@example.com
“This is a non-stop workshop full of once-in-a-lifetime experiences.”
Unique, active, and fun! This expedition is an eye-opening introduction to the environmental and cultural aspects of the Amazon Rainforest and river system in the Amazon basin of Northern Peru. The program is safe, comfortable, and accessible, offering the opportunity for many intercultural interactions, plus science and service field experiences:
- Work side-by-side with scientists on research in of one of the most biologically diverse environments on the planet.
- Ascend over 115 feet on a 1/4-mile Rainforest Canopy Walkway, one of the few of its kind in the New World.
- Interact with indigenous people and see how they use the forest for medicine, food, and shelter.
- Contribute to a Community Service Project to benefit people who live in a village along the Amazon River.
- Use hand lenses, binoculars, maps, taxonomic keys for identification, and simple field equipment with the help of our experienced Naturalist Guides to learn about:
- Insect Camouflage & Mimicry
- Neotropical Butterflies
- Rainforest Canopy Research
- Reptiles and Amphibians
- Medicinal Plants
- Orchids & Bromeliads
- Amazon River System
- Neotropical Birds & Migration